Monday 15 September 2014

it's a metaphor


I have never been the type of person to dress well for the occasion. 99% of the time, I end up being waaay overdressed. That includes yesterday. One of my friends had (surprisingly) never been to Lynn Canyon before. As a kid who had spent numerous summer camp days there, I immediately made plans with her and a few others to go there as soon as we were all free (aka yesterday). We bought some Subway sandwiches, and one of my good friends, Elle, treated us to DQ smoothies (godbless having friends with good connections). The trip getting there is incredibly long (bus, seabus, then bus again) and tedious, but it is nothing compared to climbing over rocks and such just to get to a nice spot to eat lunch. After a (not-so) brief struggle across the rocks and water, we relaxed for a while in front of an amazing view, just eating and talking. Thankfully, taking pics on the rocks weren't as hard as getting there, and once we were done, it was almost the evening and we decided to take the trail back to the bridge. The view from the Suspension Bridge really is quite wondrous; it's not the best for those with a fear of heights, but if you can handle it, the view is worth it.



Like I mentioned, I hardly dress for the right occasion. Somehow, my mind convinces me that "Yes, Maika, you can hike just fine in Doc Martens boots!" or "No, the floppy hat is not gonna be that hard to hold on to at all while you climb rocks!" Every time, I realize how wrong I was, yet I still can't seem to dress right for a day out in nature. Anyways, I got this, what I like to call, ironic white t-shirt at Zara and just fell in love with the humour (that no one else seems to get and/or appreciate except for me. Go figure.). I paired it with my black shorts for, yet another, monochrome look, and added a pop of colour with my red flannel, which I wore once it got cold, but otherwise just tied around my waist. The floppy hat has now become a permanent part of my head it seems (it doesn't help that when I do take it off, I get the worst case of hat hair). Lastly, while my Doc Martens made the trudge through the rocks a million times more difficult, the tough edge it added to my look was so worth it.


I am actually so in love with this shirt. To me, it's kind of like an effortless irony. It's a step above the basic white tee, especially because it's somewhat mocking the tee! I swear, every friend that I have worn this t-shirt with has said the same thing: either a) "I don't get it." or b) "It's not funny." Oh well. I still laugh at it every time.


Remember when I mentioned that we got DQ smoothies for a good price? Yeah, well here's our little guardian angel, Ellenor Dolores Davie (I hope I spelled that right and I hope that she doesn't kill me for using her full name. I love you, Elle). While I was taking my hundreds of pictures on the rocks, Elle came by and took some pics of her own as well as delivered me my shoes. Here's us doing a "Squad" pic.



Here's a few pictures of our view whilst we ate. Definitely worth slipping on rocks and the freezing cold water.


Don't look down!





OUTFIT INFO: 

Hat: Brandy Melville
Plaid: TNA / Aritzia (similar)
Shirt: Zara
Necklace: Urban Outfitters
Shorts: Hot Topic (similar)
Watch: American Apparel
Shoes: Doc Martens

No comments:

Post a Comment